ANZAC Square, Brisbane
Image from a photograph by Shirley and Trevor McIvor,
every population centre in Australia has a war memorial round which citizens
gather on 25 April, ANZAC Day, to pay tribute to young men and women who
left their homes, trained hard, and combined in times of conflict to ensure
our freedom. In particular, those who lost their lives are remembered. Every
capital city has its special place where greater crowds can assemble on such
occasions, and ANZAC Square, Brisbane is a focal point for Queensland. ANZAC
Square features statues paying tribute to ex-service personnel. Topping the
stairs leading from ANZAC Square are the Shrine and Eternal Flame of
Remembrance, and in the subway beneath are the Shrine of Memories and a
Crypt holding plaques honouring men and women of varied specialist units.
The Boer War soldier on horseback was initially in front of the Trades Hall,
but was transferred to ANZAC Square prior to ANZAC Day 1939, complete with
Rolls of Honour of men who fell in the Boer War, 1899-1902.
lead from the pathways up to the Shrine, which is 10 metres in diameter and
consists of a Grecian Doric circular colonnade of 18 columns representing
the year of peace, 1918. Written around the top coping are the names of the
battles in which Australian units figured prominently - ANZAC, Cocos
Islands, Romani, Jerusalem, Damascus, Pozieres, Bullecourt, Messines, Ypres,
Amiens, Villers-Bretonneaux, Mont St Quentin, Hindenburg Line. In the
centre is the Eternal Flame of Remembrance, set in a bronze urn with the
word Remembrance repeated around the bottom. The impressive memorial
made of Helidon sandstone with steps of Queensland granite, was dedicated at
11am on Armistice Day, Tuesday, 11 November 1930. The Shrine forms the focus
of the radially pattern pathways, pools, and lawns of the lower park area
which is planted with palms, Bribie Island pines, and mature bottle trees.
The bottle trees were donated by Colonel Cameron in memory of the Light
Horse Regiments with which he served in the Boer War.
subway below are the Shrine of Memories and the Crypt. The Crypt was
established in 1930 and, in a cathedral like atmosphere, contains tributes
for Australian and allied participants. The World War 2 Shrine of Memories
was built by the Queensland Patriotic Fund as part of the RSL State Branch
headquarters at ANZAC House in Wickham Terrace, and officially opened in
1959. It was later relocated to its present position where visitors can view
the mosaic designed by Don Ross, comprising over 140,000 small pieces of
hand cut Venetian glass enamels unveiled on 10 August 1984.
Mosaic, Shrine of Memories. Soils from war cemeteries
around central post. Image from a photograph by
Shirley and Trevor McIvor, Toowoomba.
the mosaic is the 2/7th Australian Cavalry Regimental Bible set in a wooden
lectern, and around a central post are boxes containing soil from official
World War 2 cemeteries where Australian service men and women are buried.
Those represented are: Halfaya, Tobruk, Beirut, Phaleron, Suda Bay,
Yokohama, Kranji, Chungkai, Kamburi, Rabaul, Bomana, Lae, Damascus,
Jerusalem, El Alamein, Acroma. Inscribed wall designs, which are
tributes to Army, Navy, Air Force and Women’s Services, were created by
Andor Maszaros, along with a bronze sculpture. A symbolic rifle and steel
helmet, used to indicate a temporary war grave, stand on one side.
on 23 April 1988, the Korea, Malaya, Borneo memorial in ANZAC Square depicts
an Australian soldier from the Malaya and Borneo conflicts standing
alongside an Australian soldier from the Korean campaign, with an arm
outstretched welcoming peace and friendship. On the same day the Vietnam
memorial was unveiled , honouring those who died or served in the war in
Vietnam from 1962-1973. It depicts an act of mercy performed many times, an
Australian soldier directing a medical helicopter to descend and tend to his
further two statues were unveiled on 29 August 1992, one being the World War
2 memorial which depicts an Army nurse tending a wounded soldier. Around the
base are insignia of many women’s services, as well as a replica Victoria
Cross, citation and photograph of VC winner, Corporal Jack French of Crows
Nest, and other memorabilia. The second memorial honours participants in the
South West Pacific campaign and depicts a wounded Australian soldier
descending the Kokoda Trail assisted by a strong dependable Papua New
Guinean leading him to safety. They are being passed by a fresh, determined
soldier, resolute in the task ahead.
Memorial Frieze on the western wall, erected by the women of Queensland in
memory of those who lost their lives in the Great War and unveiled on the 24
March 1932, is a sculptured panel of infantry and horse drawn guns. In front
is a sandstone drinking fountain supported by four bronze fish, a symbolic
horse drinking trough remembering the invaluable work of horses during World
War I. Beside the Shrine, Ann Street level, are three seats paying tribute
to Australian Army Nursing Services, Commando Squadrons and Special Forces,
and Major D.J.F. Skov for her work with Australian Women’s Army Services
Queensland Cameron Highlanders’ tribute in the crypt leaves a poignant
message for all generations: When you go home tell them of us and say,
for your tomorrow we gave our today.
learn more about Queensland memorials, visit http://www.qldwarmemorials.com.au/ -
the Queensland War Memorial Register, dedicated to the memory of the fallen
and those who served Australia in the Armed Services. The Register honours
service personnel that were drawn from Queensland communities.
Australian War Memorials]
[Traditions, Facts and Folklore front page]